Hypnosis is a field that has countless hypnotism techniques. Some are simple to learn while others are much more advanced. It is a field that has unmatched potential in creating positive change. Hypnosis allows you to communicate with the subconscious mind, whether for yourself or others. Once you have tapped into the subconscious mind, that is where the real power begins and real change can occur. As I said before, there are numerous hypnotism techniques to learn and master, but unfortunately too many to mention here. Therefore, I am going to share 5 powerful techniques that can alter the way in which you communicate and influence others.
1. Affirmations Affirmations are one of the many hypnotism techniques that allow you to form a deeper connection with other people. They make them feel good about themselves and in turn they trust you and what you have to say. Affirmations help you form rapport with the subject which is a crucial step in hypnosis. When using affirmations it is very important to be sincere. If you are not being sincere the subject’s subconscious mind will be alerted and they won’t trust you or what you have to say. Once your affirmations have created self confidence, self belief, and trust they will be much more open to your suggestions.
2. Embedded Commands Embedded commands are pieces of a sentence, if taken out and spoken alone, would be a verbal command. Embedded commands are very powerful hypnotism techniques when it comes to making suggestions to another person. They won’t consciously be aware of the command, but subconsciously will be impacted. In order for the embedded command to be effective you need to make each word in the command stand out without being obvious (‘mark’ each word in the command). You can do this by slightly changing the volume of your voice, tilting your head, touching the person, or pausing just before the specific words. Basically, embedded commands are commands that you discreetly place within a normal conversation but have a tremendous impact on influencing the subject.
3. Phonological Ambiguity Phonological ambiguity is a hypnotism technique that is used in embedded commands. This fascinating technique is when words sound the same but have different meanings such as; knows and nose, by and buy, to and two and too. They can be used in embedded commands and will be understood by the conscious mind as one meaning and by the subconscious mind as another. Just as the words in embedded commands need to be ‘marked’, the phonological ambiguous words will need to be ‘marked’ out as well so that the subconscious mind will recognize them. Two common and very useful commands that include phonological ambiguity are “by now” and “like me”. “By now” will be recognized by the conscious mind as timing, but the same phrase could be construed as buying something as in “buy now.” “Like me” can mean similar to me or to care about me. When you use these phrases and ‘mark’ them in embedded commands the subconscious mind will interpret them differently. Here are several examples: “Like me, you probably see why people like it, because I’m sure it’s very nice.” Now when you ‘mark’ the words in italics the subconscious mind hears; Like me because I’m very nice. This next one’s just for fun; “You should get in touch with your old friends. I know you won’t regret it.” The subconscious mind hears; Touch your eye. Embedded commands using phonological ambiguity are incredibly powerful at influencing others.
4. Tonality Tonality is a hypnotism technique that allows you to covertly communicate and make suggestions within a normal conversation. There are basically 3 styles of tonality that we use; commands, questions, and statements. Commands use a downward inflection at the end of the sentence, questions use an inflection that goes up at the end of the sentence, and a statement stays flat at the end of the sentence. By using the command tonality you are appearing to be confident, in control, genuine and an authority figure. When you use a downward inflection at the end of a sentence you seem more convincing and in control. When someone’s subconscious mind hears commands it trusts you and believes what you have to say. An upward tonality at the end of a sentence is commonly used when asking a question and this tonality tends to create doubt as to your confidence, control and authority. You basically want to use questions so that the other person answers with a “yes.” You can also use the question inflection to create doubt. When you take a statement and use tonality to turn it into a question it creates uncertainty in the subject’s mind. The tonality of your voice is a hypnotism technique that makes a huge impact on the effectiveness of hypnosis. Questioning inflection, although it has some benefits, primarily distances you from others. While command tonalities create trust, confidence, and belief in what you are saying.
5. Presuppositions Presuppositions assume that the person you are attempting to persuade or influence has already accepted what you are saying. Presuppositions are a very subtle yet effective hypnotism technique. Instead of asking something like “will you go to the meeting with me?” you would say “are you still willing to go to the meeting with me?” It presupposes that they are willing to go with you. Another example would be; “how much do you like this restaurant?” rather than asking them if they like the restaurant you have assumed that they already do. Presuppositions operate at the subconscious level by bypassing resistance because the subject already accepts what you are saying. This technique uses language to communicate with the subconscious mind and influence thoughts and beliefs with simple assumptions. These are just a handful of hypnotism techniques that can empower you to modify behaviors. Hypnosis is a field that has many effective techniques that enable you to make unbelievable transformations, not only in your life, but in the lives of others as well. Through practice, patience, and determination you can master these skills and make positive changes.
To get certified in hypnosis and NLP click here! Or, to simply read more about it and learn extremely beneficial techniques check out the book below.
The Art of Hypnosis is a fantastic book loaded with hypnotism techniques.